Baptisms and Weddings
If you wish to arrange a baptism or wedding at St Paul’s or Whitworth Church, or would like to discuss them further, then please call in at St Paul's Church on a Wednesday evening between 6-6.30pm. Alternatively you can visit the the Vicarage (30 Jubilee Close) on a Thursday afternoon from 1-3pm.
The office staff will be more than happy to answer any questions or arrange a baptism or wedding for you.
Unfortunately we are not able to give quotes via email for the cost of a wedding. This will be discussed when you meet with the clergy.
Useful information about baptism
Families who live in parish, are on the electoral roll of the church, or in some circumstances those who have a previous connection with the church are welcome to arrange a baptism at St Paul's.
- Preparation - you are invited together with the godparents to meet with our preparation team to talk through what baptism means to your family and to go through the service. We also welcome into the Church family all those who are to be baptised on the first Sunday of the month at the 10.30am service.
- Godparents - during the service you will all make promises for the child. It is important that you have all been baptised and that the Godparents fully understand their responsibilities. During the service you are declaring that you will bring up the child in the Christian faith. If you feel you are not able to make the promises, then we can talk to you about an alternative service of thanksgiving for your child. This is a very personal and individual service.
- Cost – there is no charge for a Baptism. There will be a collection plate at the back of church when you leave and if you would to make a donation towards the upkeep of the Church then you are more than welcome.
Useful information about arranging a marriage
- If either the bride or groom lives in the parish then marrying at St Paul’s should be fairly straightforward.
- If you don’t live in the parish, it is now much easier to marry at St Paul’s if you have a Qualifying Connection. Full details about Qualifying Connections can be found on the Church of England website.
- You can also marry at St Paul's if you become a member of the church and enrol on the electoral (membership) roll even if you don't live in the parish.
- If you have been previously married and divorced, it might still be possible to marry in church. Please contact us as soon as possible.
- At St Paul’s we have an excellent team of flower arrangers who can provide the floral displays for your special day – and at a fraction of the cost of mainstream florists!
- Directly opposite the Church is the St Paul's Centre where we can offer you a complete package for your wedding with a reception. Catering is provided by Divine and Delicious and a disco is available from Damascus Road Technical Services. For more information visit www.stpaulscentrespennymoor.org.uk.
- The www.yourchurchwedding.org website from the Church of England is an excellent resource for planning your special day. You can browse readings, listen to excerpts of hymns and read other useful and practical advice.